Friday, May 29, 2009

Strawberry Banana Coconut Smoothie

Here's our current favorite smoothie to enjoy for breakfast each morning.

1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
1/2 medium banana
2 tbsp coconut milk
1/4 cup pineapple
1/4 cup skim milk
1 cup ice

Blend in blender...

I don't currently have pineapple on hand, so I've omitted it and since I'm trying to eliminate milk I just increased the coconut milk a little.  Also, David loves banana in his smoothie, so I used a whole banana in his.  Also, my mom was here and wanted some almonds in hers so I threw a handful in, she loved it!

I'm working on a "Green" smoothie, but haven't found a recipe I like yet.  I drank one the other day to take my vitamins and that was about all of it I could handle.  I also made Honey Roasted Peanut Butter - there is just one word for that... YUMMY!  I am going to attempt to make almond butter and hummus in the next few days. 

So if you have any favorite smoothies, can you put the recipe in a comment?  I would love that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Here is a green smoothie recipe we use...the kids all love it.

Blend together 2 cups water and a LARGE handful of fresh spinach leaves (fill the blender jar up!)Add 2tsp flax seeds, 1 cup (or more) plain yogurt (you could substitute coconut milk here), 1 banana (I cut up bananas into chunks and freeze them to have on hand at all times for smoothies), 2 Tbsp Orange Juice concentrate.

Give it a good whirl. It makes a blender-full, filling about three large glasses. You'd never know it was full of spinach...honest!

This is a very flexible recipe, and we add other fruits to suit our fancy, though once they are added, the "green" turns to more of a brown.

Enjoy, Lynda J

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Tammy Brown and her girls make a MEAN GREEN smoothie! I have no idea of the recipe but my children and I LOVE it. Full of spinach and tastes GREAT! When I saw the pic of your smoothie I thought "I need to get Tammy's recipe!" Thanks for the reminder and new recipe! :)
****the recipe is probaby the same and I see that Lynda posted!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Also, we just had a sample of apple sauce with Flax seed in it yesterday at Sam's. Made it really yummy and a neat texture! Just a thought that you and the girls may enjoy. My 7 & 8 year old said it was better than regular apple sauce, and they LOVE apple sauce. I have to agree with them!