Thursday, June 19, 2008

Battling UnBelief by John Piper

I am reading this really great book by John Piper, called "Battling UnBelief". I think I honestly thought that I didn't struggle with unbelief, but I'm beginning to realize how much of my sin has unbelief at its root.

Yesterday, I read the chapter on Battling Impatience. It is wonderful! I reread some portions of it this morning during my devotions and meditated on the scriptures he referenced.

This is one of the quotes that he had in the book that I really enjoyed.

"Infinite wisdom has arranged the whole with infinite love; and infinite power enables me - to rest upon that love. I am in a dear Father's hands - all is secure. When I look to Him, I see nothing by faithfulness - and immutability - and truth; and I have the sweetest peace - I cannot have more peace."

He then continues, "by faith in future grace he (the man who wrote the above)had learned to wait with God in the unplanned place of obedience, and to walk with God at the unplanned pace of obedience. With the psalmist he said, "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope" (Psalm 130:5). "The Lord is good to those who wait for him" (Lam 3:25).


Hope this encourages you in whatever you are facing right now.

No comments: